View Before & After Photos »
The neck is often first to display tell-tale signs of aging and gravity. The skin starts to look thin and “crepe-y,” the jaw line sags, and the outline of the vocal cords may become visible. The surgical correction of droopy neck skin, accumulated fat or “turkey wattle” is called neck lift, and it may be performed on its own or in conjunction with facelift. These options can be explored in greater detail during a one-on-one consultation with the accomplished plastic surgeons at Chicago Aesthetic Surgery Institute and Medspa. Our Chicago cosmetic surgeons have many years of combined experience providing advanced facial rejuvenation treatments, including neck lift in Chicago. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation.
Candidates for Neck Lift Surgery in Chicago
Ideal candidates for neck lift surgery are men and women in good health with jowls, and sagging or excess skin underneath the chin. Candidates should not smoke or have significant health issues.
Aging changes of the neck area that can be corrected with necklift surgery include:
- Loose skin over the neck area that improves by pulling the skin under the jawline in the direction behind the ears
- A “double chin” or excess fat/loose skin along or under the jaw
- Large jowls
- Sagging and visible muscles in neck area
- Displaced or fat deposits that have drifted down particularly in the jowl area
- Heavy jowls that droop over the jawline
- “Double chin” or that heavy fat under the chin area present even in younger patients
- Accumulated fat in below the chin area as a “turkey wattle”
- Loose skin around the jawline
Appropriate Chicago necklift candidates are women or men and in good physical health who do not smoke (or can quit smoking for several weeks before and after the procedure). In addition, patients should have reasonable expectations of the necklift procedure and may need to consider adjunctive procedures such as the following:
- Facelift surgery to address aging changes of the face above the jaw line improved when pulling the lateral facial skin towards the ears or temples
- Mid-face lift to address sagging cheeks and address sagging of the cheek area and grooved transitions of the lower eyelid area to the cheek
- Lower eyelid lift for Bags and Creases below the eyes
- Fat grafting to the cheeks and face to improve volume loss in the cheeks and temples
- Laser skin resurfacing to improve skin tone and appearance of the neck skin
- Microneedling and Radiofrequency tightening of the skin area with Morpheus
- Photofacial treatments to address broken blood vessels
- Photofacial treatments to adress brown and red spots associated with sundamage and aging
- Direct wrinkle filling of neck lines
- Direct wrinkle release with subcision treatments
The benefit to having several procedures performed at once is that you as the patient only need to be put under anesthesia and recover from surgery once instead of multiple times. Speak with our Chicago neck lift surgeons about this option to determine whether it will suit your needs.
The Necklift Procedure
Neck lift surgery is performed under local or general anesthesia at our accredited surgical facility. Anesthesia is administered by one of our licensed anesthesiologists or a nurse anesthetist. The surgeon makes incisions underneath the chin and in front of/behind the ears. Through the incisions, the surgeon lifts and repositions the underlying musculature of the neck area. Excess skin is removed and the remaining skin is redraped so it looks tighter and younger.
Liposuction may be used to remove excess fat from the neck if necessary.
For a more comprehensive transformation, our plastic surgeons may recommend combining a neck lift with eyelid surgery, a browlift and/or facelift. The benefit to having several procedures performed at once is that the patient only needs to be put under anesthesia and recover from surgery once instead of multiple times. Speak with our Chicago neck lift surgeons about this option to determine whether it will suit your needs.
Neck Lift Recovery
Our plastic surgeons recommend that neck lift patients take one or two weeks off work to recover from surgery. During this time, patients should wear the support garment or band provided by our surgeons as this will help the new contours of the neck settle properly. Bruising and swelling is normal and should subside over several weeks. Our surgeons and support staff will provide more detailed recovery instructions to the patient prior to surgery.
Risks and Benefits of Neck Lift
Neck lift surgery will significantly improve the appearance of the neck skin and contour. This has an overall rejuvenating effect on the rest of the facial features. Surgical incisions for neck lift can be hidden in inconspicuous locations. The results of neck lift will last a very long time, provided that patients follow healthy habits such as maintaining a healthy diet, moderate exercise, avoiding sun and refraining from smoking.
Neck lift risks include: bleeding, infection, complications from the anesthesia, nerve injury, loss of sensation and skin contour irregularities. The risks of neck lift are decreased when this procedure is performed by a surgeon who is experienced, such as the surgeons of Chicago Aesthetic Surgery Institute.
Schedule Your Neck Lift Consultation Today
If you would like to discuss neck lift, facelift or another facial plastic surgery procedure, please contact Chicago Aesthetic Surgery Institute and Medspa today. Our thoroughly educated surgeons offer a complete range of facial plastic surgery procedures, including forehead lift, eyelid surgery, nose surgery and fat transfer in Chicago.